Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Inside Fenella's Wardrobe

Hi Wardrobe Wedesday'ers
I'm taking a bye today - instead of the usual pictures of me I interviewed Fenella Jamieson, owner of Stitch (a local boutique fabric and yarn shop).


Please feel free to link up at the bottom.  From next week we'll have a theme and a prize for the rest of the month!  


The theme will be something along the lines of 'dress the decade you wish you were born in'.  I think we all have a decade where the style seems to perfectly fit our shape and outlook - so instead of trying to force what is trendy right now, why not let your personal style reflect your favourite decade.  I am yet to come up with a pithy title for this theme - any suggestions.



Name Fenella Jamieson

Age  33

Fenella part owns and manages Stitch Playroom – a contemporary boutique craft shop in Christchurch.

When she isn't hard at work, Fenella is a quilter, knitter, baker, jam maker and lover of vintage china.  She is a really girly girl and lover of shabby chic.  She shares her home with Milly (6) and dog Mia.  Its filled with her gorgeous hand crafted soft furnishings, and wonderful vintage finds.


What are your most favourite pieces in your wardrobe and why?
I love my new Max dress, its made of warm and snuggly merino, its a great cut and its very femine and pretty.

What is the hardest working item in your wardrobe?
I picked up these brown leather boots in a thrift shop for $2 and added sheepskin liners for $8.  They are being thrashed at the moment!  



  
If there were three words to describe your outlook on fashion and style they would be:
Others might say – Fearless, because I wear heaps of colour.  I see my look as eclectic, fun  and feminine.

How do you achieve your look (do you buy/thrift/upcycle/make?)
I thrift mainly.  In the past I made a lot of my clothes, but since opeing Stitch two years ago I don't have so much time.  I love thrift shopping.  My favourite Christchurch spots are the $2 Recycle Centre on Ferry Road and Savemart in Sydneham. I also have dibs on my Mum’s wardrobe!!

Is there anything you’re wishing for/lusting after at the moment?
I'm on the lookout for spring dresses with a 60’s feel.  I love Yvonne Bennetti’s latests styles.  

Also I’m looking for the perfect kitten heels to complete the 60’s vibe – maybe with an open toe.
Fenella's Summer Style


Fenella was quick to mention that should she win lotto, her dream pieces would be:
a Hermes Birken handbag, Christian Laboutin shoes – classic black pumps with the red soles and a Tiffanys 'Diamonds by the Yard' necklace.  Nin - Yeah - I think I would be happy with that!

What are some of your favourite designers/labels?
I love New Zealand designers AnnahStretton and Trelise Cooper.  Also some of Karen Walker's more girly stuff appeals and Helen Cherry's dresses are super pretty.


Who is your style icon?




Victoria Beckham Clothes
Source
Victoria Beckham is my style icon – her style is very classic, simple, feminine, elegant and still with modern edge.  She is relevant to now.  I also admire Katie Holmes – she worn the most magnificent navy dress to a Vanity Fair party recently.  Katie takes risks but still manages to look classic.
Katie Holmes Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes attending the 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party held at the Sunset Towers Hotel, West Hollywood.
Source
Lastly Blake Lively has a relaxed and effortless look.  She has a glow about her and is naturally beautiful.  I love that she isn't a standard figure, but she knows what suits her.
blake lively street style



Something I will never wear:
Animal prints!  OK, maybe animal print shoes – but I'm too girly girl to go top to toe animal! Also 'Yeti' jackets I would never wear


What decade do you think best reflects your personal style?:

I am a classic hourglass shape.  50’s full skirts are great for my shape, and I love pencil skirts although I’m not too sure they always suit me.  I avoid skin tight garments but do go for body skimming looks that show off my hourglass shape.  I love skirts and dresses that hit on or just above my knee.  Long skirts make me look short.  High necks, turtle and crew necks are no good –  v-necks suit me best as I have wide chest/shoulders.

I wear belts to emphasis my waist over layers and I tend to keep my necklaces mid-length.  I love hats and accessories.


In general I think its best to work with what suits your colouring and body shape rather than  wearing the latest trends.  That way you'll look always look amazing

Thanks Fenella for taking the time to talk to me and letting me into your amazing home.

If you want to join in this week.... 
Add you link below and be sure to check out what everybody else is wearing.  You can grab this button to add to your post if you like.  Linky is open until next Tuesday.  




Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Great interview Nin - I love seeing inside real working wardrobes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her wardrobe is awesome - how funny is it that we all pretty much are wearing skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post! those boots are amazing and i, too, dream to own a birkin bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Found my way here for the first time via Kiwi Women's Style. :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank you for your comment, its so nice to hear from you.....